Friday, April 26, 2013

One Step Nearer

Riverton, Utah High 70 Low 46

I spent yesterday and part of today putting in an air conditioner and taking off a swamp cooler for my brother. We put in a sky light using the old duct work. This solves two problems. First, I don't have to have the roof patched, and second, it gives quite a bit of natural light into what would normally be a dark hallway. My brother is about a year and a half younger than I. He was going to retire about the same time I did, but on the way back from Los Alamos, New Mexico, where he has lived for the last 10 years, he was stopped at a rest stop with his motor home, and had a stroke. They had to get one of their sons to drive the motor home to Salt Lake to their home here. He ended up in the hospital for about three weeks, and is now paralyzed on his left side. By now you are probably wondering why I'm telling you about this. Cindy was very reluctant to retire, but after my brothers stroke, I told her you never know what the future holds or how much time you have left. So she finally agreed to retire at the end of the year. I know I have enjoyed not working at my job every day, and I think she is enjoying retirement, at least I hope so.

Now about the title. Yesterday I went to the insurance company and asked them to renew our insurance. It doesn't renew until May 24, but I had to wait until 30 days before renewal date before they could do anything. I talked about this in an earlier post. Anyway, they were happy to take my money and renew now. The only problem: they wanted to renew for 6 months and we are not going to be home until after renewal date which would be November 24. So I asked him how much and could they renew for a year instead of 6 months. He checked and yes they could go to a year policy. The added benefit of a yearly policy is we went from $500 deductible to $100 and saved $500 in the process. Happiness! They also gave me a booklet for Canada that shows we will have coverage while in Canada. We had read that one of the requirements to enter Canada is to have proof of Canadian insurance. One more to-do finished. I still have to wait until next Wednesday to license the truck and trailer. 6 or 7 days till we leave.

Sorry no pictures. Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. That's wonderful that you were able to help your brother out. You are so right - you never know what curve life is going to throw at you. I am so glad we retired when we did - wish it had been earlier to be honest with you. Getting closer to take off.