Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Unwanted Excitement

 Yuma, Arizona           High 73 Low 42

Today was a beautiful day with no wind.

I was taking Penny for her evening walk, when our neighbor told us there was a fire by the pickle-ball courts. We had heard sirens and a loud boom, but didn't know what it was. I could see a large amount of smoke and Cindy and I started to walk to see what had happened, but the wind was blowing so had that the sand made it uncomfortable to walk. There were gusts to 50 mph. We took the car and got as close as we could. There were at least 4 large fire trucks and we weren't able to get very close.

The next morning we walked to see what had happened, and one of our friends had their class c and fifth wheel burned up. Luckily they were able to get out with just what they had on, which wasn't much, as they were in bed. They were able to get their car away from the wind driven flames and later found, what they called, a to go bag with most of their important papers. 

The fire started in the class c and the wind pushed it to their fifth wheel. The explosion was their lithium batteries exploding that were part of the solar on the class c. 

I managed to talk to the fireman investigating the fire and he thought it was some kind of electrical fire.

The couple are full timers and lost every thing the own with the exception of their car.

I sure hope they had good insurance.

The people in this Park have been very good to them with donations of clothing and a place to stay. Karen, that's her name, told me the only thing she had left was her nightie that she was wearing. They even lost their wallets, money, and her purse. 

I think it would be very hard to start over with no possessions. 

Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh!! That is so scary!!! Those lithium batteries seem to be causing lots of fires. SO SO scary!! I guess possessions aren't everything, but to lose it all .... so sad.