Thursday, November 14, 2013

Drive toward Home November 14, 2013

Tremonton, Utah High 54 Low 36

Yesterday we left the SKP Park in Sutherlin at about 9:30. We headed north toward Eugene, then toward Bend. We followed the Mackenzie River for a long way. We came to a covered bridge over the river, and Cindy got some pictures of it.

Just before Bend, we went through the Town of Sisters. It looks like a cute town, and we saw a quilt store we wanted to stop at, but were unable to find a place to park.

As we got to Bend, the terrain changed to desert. It looks like a lot of Utah. We saw snow on some of the higher mountains, but were unable to get any photos. After bend we found out that not only is there a Sisters, Oregon, but also a Brothers. While Sisters is a nice town, if you want to see Brothers, you better look quick because there are only about 4 rundown buildings and a nice Restaurant. The whole town is about 1/4 mile long.

 I was going to stop at a rest stop east of Burns, Oregon, which would have been about 325 miles from Sutherlin. I thought that was plenty, but when we got to the rest stop……it was closed.  There weren't any more until Ontario. So I had to drive about an extra 125 miles. It was about 8:00 when we finally stopped (Mountain Time). It was still a long day and I usually don’t like to drive in the dark.

We slept in and didn't get up until after 8:00 this morning, so it was about 9:00 when we finally got on the road. Last night wasn't very restful because of the trucks running in the rest stop and we were close to the freeway, so we could hear the traffic all night.

We drove about 325 miles today, all of it on the freeway, so the drive wasn't too bad. We had decided to stop at Tremonton and stay at Camper World Hot Springs Park. We are members, so we don’t have to pay to stay here. This park is far enough away from the freeway, that there is absolutely no noise.

The TV weather report tonight predicted snow here Friday, but with a possibility of snow tonight. Why are we going home when we could be headed south toward warmer weather???? We have to be out of our minds, but Cindy did promise the kids we would be home for Thanksgiving.

The phone says there is a chance of snow here after 4:00 in the morning. If it does, we will stay here for a while until the storm passes by, because I have no desire to drive in the awful Four Letter Word, Snow. We only have about a 3 hour drive, but we might end up staying until Sunday. It is still good not to have too many plans set in stone, but in Jell-o. Truthfully, I’m good either way.

Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. We've only towed the fiver in snow twice and that is twice too often. So glad to hear you're going to stay put. You have lots of time before Thanksgiving.