Thursday, July 4, 2013

Soldotna, Alaska Day 63, July 4, 2013

This is one of the quilts Cindy has been working on.

It rained all night. We were concerned that we wouldn’t get to go to the parade, but it stopped raining on the way to Kenai, so we were able to see the parade. When we got there, there was a large parking lot to park in, but we noticed people parking on the grass by the sidewalk, so we joined them. We sat in the truck until it was time for the parade.

All the kids had bags.

There were lots of the people in the parade throwing candy for the kids (and grampas) and the kids had come with bags to put it in. It seemed better than Halloween for them.

It seemed like every business in Kenai had a vehicle in the float, as well as a lot of old cars and tractors. The parade lasted about an hour and one half.

Here the kids are picking up candy.

When the parade was over, all the power in Kenai was off and there was a lot of traffic getting out of town. We had a good time watching the parade, although it was different than any parade we had ever seen before.

We had been invited to a barbeque this afternoon. It was close to town, but was out in the woods. The people that lived there had about a six foot fence around their property to keep the moose from ruining their plants.

There were a lot of mosquitoes, but the owner had a couple of what looked like tennis rackets that zapped the mosquitoes, and I had a good time killing mosquitoes.

It was about 2:00 in the afternoon and we had to have our heavy coats on, and everyone stood around a campfire to try to stay warm. Life here is sure different that at home where it is pushing 100 degrees. This is the first time I remember having to wear a winter coat on the fourth of July.

We are enjoying our time in Alaska, and hope the rest of the trip is as enjoyable as it has been so far.

Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. You guys do look cold. But we RVer's are tough and have a great time even if it's cold. Those kids are serious about their candy.