Pages

Sunday, February 4, 2024

Time For An Update

 Yuma, Arizona       High 71 Low 52

We have been busy the last while. We got another heavy rain storm overnight about last Saturday.

We had a shuffleboard Tournament in our Park. Parks from all over Yuma were invited. We ended up with 92 players, of which 18 were from our park. It is called a Fun Pin Tournament, because we play with a boiling pin at the top of each 8 line. If you knock the pin over it is a 10 point penalty, so it changes the way you can play.

I lost my first game and played again in the consolation round, which I also lost. So I was out of the tournament the first day. I spent the next two days refereeing games.





 In spite of loosing, I enjoyed the tournament.

We went to a presentation put on by the Border Patrol that had one of their drug sniffing dogs. The gave a demonstration of the dog's abilities. The dogs are taught to smell the drugs and then sit in place, rather than attack. They had a member of the audience place a can with drugs in a hidden place on the stage. The also had several identical cans with no drugs hidden. It didn't take the dog long to find the can with the drugs. They are a special breed dog from Europe that are very good at smelling drugs. It was interesting to watch.




Yesterday The Café here in our Park put on what the called a Pits Masters Barbecue. It cost $25.00 to get in the Ballroom to watch the different demonstrations, and what he called carnivore meal (all meat buffet) cost $125.00. If you volunteered to help with the demonstrations, parking, and so on, you were allowed to attend all the different events, so we helped pass out samples. There were also lots of food truck, which anyone could patronize.

At the start of the Barbeque, they had a Marine Corps group present the flag. I guess I'm getting old, because the marines looked awfully young! 


They had all the barbecues outside during the day that we walked by to see the different meats cooking.



The next picture is of the Oak logs they use to barbeque.









The Chef we helped with had written many books about barbequing. He talked about the oldest barbeque restaurant in the US which is still in business.

I've got so many pictures on this post, that I will finish up with a preview of last night's festivities.

Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE barbecue ... but I prefer not knowing what it looked like prior to being cooked! LOL. What an event! Don't think I could eat $125.00 worth though!!

    ReplyDelete